Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Sweet victory, bitter disappointment (#5)

Image and t-shirt design: Mike Murase

Never have I felt so emotional on election night... we have a new president! So happy for Barack Obama, his beautiful family, and all the people who believe in the message of hope and change. He sure has his work cut out for him after 8 years of Bush's failed administration, years of lies, arrogance and deceptions. But I have hope that Obama will provide leadership and good policies for the next 4 years. I hope that he can end the war in Iraq, and push through some of his ideas.

There has been a lot of talk about the first African American president and people's amazement at "never thought I'd see the day" is really touching. But I also like to think of my new president as a Hapa dude from Hawai'i who grew up eating Botan rice candy and has an Asian American sister named Maya! They never say that in the media, why not? :)

But, the night was also tinged with bitter disappointment in 52% of Californians who voted for Prop (H)8. It is completely inconceivable to me that people would vote to eliminate rights to people to marry, would vote to discriminate against gays and lesbians, would vote to invalidate the union of over 10,000 couples in California since May 2008. We're talking about people's right to get legally married to the people they love. I think even Jesus would have been for marriage equality. I would love to hear from people who voted yes, because I just don't understand it.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Maiya just saw the photo of Obama wearing the shirt above and said, "Obama? Obama has an Obama shirt, the same as yours!"

Then she introduced me to a little green frog who lights up that she has named "Savina." Now she wants me to come see "Savina's house next to my house. Come on, let's go, I'm waiting."

Lisa said...

In Florida it was Amendment 2 and it also unfortunately passed.