Thursday, November 08, 2007

Read to Me LA

NaBloPoMo #8: A few weeks ago, LA City Mayor Villaraigosa came to the Echo Park Library to read to our LTSC Angelina Preschool kids as part of the Read to Me LA initiative and to mark the opening of the library's Adult Literacy center. It was pretty cool. We invited the parents from our Family Literacy program. It was exciting to the families to meet the Mayor. I like that he spoke to the families in Spanish first, then translated into English.

LTSC Angelina Preschool kids

"Read to your kids 20 minutes a day."

The Mayor with our Family Literacy Parents
and staff of Angelina Preschool

Fatima from our FamLit program interviewed
by the LA City News Channel

Since it was my day off, I came and brought Maiya to the library. It was fun for her to mix with our Angelina kids. Afterwards, Maiya & I stayed and read books, while she re-arranged all of the chairs in the children's section. Several photographers were taking pictures of me & Maiya reading, and we were filmed as well. I was hoping they didn't notice that Maiya had selected a Sponge Bob book, even though I was trying to read her "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." That night, I brought books to my Language Arts for the Early Childhood Education class.

It's funny how my work, my schoolwork, and Maiya's development all weaves together these days. The Read to Me LA's main thing is to read to your infant, toddler, or preschooler at least 20 minutes a day. Piece of cake.

No comments: