Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lego is the new Elmo

NaBloPoMo#11: In October, Maiya became entranced with Legos. Where before she would watch Elmo for an hour, she can do Legos with intense concentration for hours. Above are some of her projects (and mine) over the month of October.

At first her favorite thing was the single piece squares, then she graduated to the doubles, then the L's, then started stacking towers, building windows and fences, taking over and adding flowers to my projects or taking the roof off my house and making her own garden. She also will play for 1 1/2 hours, and then take apart a project one piece at a time, tossing them back in the box, cleaning up and putting the box back in her room.

I think it's great creative play time and developing her fine motor skills, but also has elements of pre-math, early science, logic and sorting, and learning about how things go together. Ok, it's Sunday. I've got to do some reading for my class.

No comments: