Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Kitchen is Open

I think I set a record. I cooked two nights in a row. Last night, I made capellini with homemade basil pesto in the blender from a cookbook that I bought in the mid-80s and don't remember ever using. It was the first time I ever made pesto and I have to say, it was delicious!!

Pesto sauce:
2 cups sliced basil leaves
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup romano cheese
3 TBS pine nuts
1 tsp fresh parsley
1 clove garlic sliced in half
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 cup olive oil

Blend all the above in the blender and drizzle in the olive oil. Used hashi (chopsticks) to get the stuff off the sides and bottom.

Tonight was Taco Bar night. I made tacos old-style like my mom used to make when we were growing up with some adjustments to 2005 in parenthesis. My mom was over today watching Maiya while I went to the spa. I did the fake meat and grated the cheese, while mom chopped onions, tomatoes and lettuce.

Make-Your-Own-Tacos 2005:
Ground beef with McCormick's Taco Seasoning Packet (Veggie Soy-fake meat and low sodium taco seasoning)
Grated cheese (organic sharp cheddar)
Chopped tomatoes (vine-ripened from the Farmer's Market)
Sliced iceberg lettuce (old-style)
Diced Onion (Farmer's Market organic)
Guacamole (Mom said she never used guacamole in tacos. It came in a bag from Trader Joe's cause I couldn't find any ripe avocados at the Farmer's Market)
Black Olives (Kalamata from Farmer's Market)
Sour Cream
Corn and Flour tortillas (back in the day mom used to fry the corn tortillas in oil and stuff it with the meat. I just put them on the burner)

We're going to try to plan the week's dinners in advance. I'm thinking it will help us shop better and more frequently when we know what we're going to be eating, and it will avoid the what-are-we-having-tonight-for-dinner dilemma. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: