Saturday, October 18, 2008

Jenni's Movie Pick: La Misma Luna



We saw a great movie last night, "La Misma Luna" translated to "Under the Same Moon." It was a sweet movie about a 9 year old boy Carlitos whose mother has been working in LA for the last 5 years trying to make a better life for him. It shows the immigrant struggle and the insanity of what makes you a legal vs. undocumented immigrant. In the movie, Carlitos crosses the border by himself and comes to Boyle Heights searching for his mother. I knew I was going to like the movie when I started bawling in the first 5 minutes.

And, for our 15 seconds of fame, Tony's mural "Home is Little Tokyo" has about 5 seconds of airtime in the film when Carlitos' mom and her friend are riding a bus on Alameda past Little Tokyo.

In the Special Features on the DVD, there is a short piece on the La Misma Luna mural that was commissioned based on the movie. I'd like to go see it, on Cesar Chavez (formerly Brooklyn) and Breed Street just a few blocks from where my mom (and cousins) grew up.

As a mother and a granddaughter of immigrants, who works with Latino immigrant families, I do recommend this beautiful movie.

No comments: