Thursday, May 20, 2004

Ride Your Bike Today

Yesterday, Tony needed to borrow my car, so for the first time, I drove his old Toyota truck. I have to admit I've been spoiled. Even though my Honda Civic is 12 years old, I bought it new, along with my previous car, another Honda Civic that was also purchased new that I drove for 7 years. So I basically have had very comfortable cars since 1985. Tony's truck is a 4 speed, without A/C, power steering, automatic windows, passenger mirrors, or a radio. It squeaks, it lurches, it is a workhorse. Anyways, Tony didn't have a car for almost 2 years (in his quest to be a one-car family, our contribution to lessen our dependency on oil), so for him, any car is better than nothing. As I was complaining about the lack of amenities in his truck, he informed me how much money we are saving by not having a car payment, plus the truck was very cheap! So insurance and registration, also cheap! I reminded him about past obsession with Ebay, AutoTrader.com--what with his motorcycle, 4 bicycles, 2 scooters and skateboard! He may not have a fancy 4 wheeler, but he has plenty of 2 wheelers!

Anyways, today is Ride Your Bike to Work Day. We didn't, but we carpooled. I noticed that we got across town pretty quickly, but we figured it might be b/c of Ride Your Bike to Work Day. Yesterday, we participated in the Don't Buy Gas Day, to send a message to Bush about his keeping the prices of gas high until the election. Both of our cars are running on fumes, so it's good we can buy gas today.

No comments: