Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Weekend Update: Fishies... Fishies!

On Saturday, we stopped by Sergio's in the Valley and picked up some Vietnamese sandwiches. Then we went to spend the day at my parent's house, hanging out and playing with Kaz and Skyler, Sao, Kyle and Kevin, and watching the bunny rabbits in the yard.

My mom made an awesome dinner. Tony & I tried again to sneak away for a movie date, but couldn't decide what to see, so we took Maiya shopping at Sport Chalet spending 2 hours looking at shoes and backpacks (poor kid). We also went to the tropical fish store where Maiya got very excited yelling and pointing at all the fish. The tropical fish were soooo expensive.

On Sunday, we decided to take Maiya to the Aquarium of the Pacific - I've been wanting to go for a long time. Maiya loved all the fishes, although her favorite were the frenetic and very cute Diving Birds. We spent about 10 minutes watching them. My favorite was the Sea Dragons that look like Sea Horses and float and blend into the plants. The nice thing about the Aquarium is that it is small relative to the zoo, and things are close together. When it gets too hot, then you can go back inside to the A/C, watch a movie or just fish watch. I like their message about conservation and the environment, and thought the interactive exhibits were pretty cool.

Cranky Maiya in the hot sun at the Sea Lion and Seal show

Afterwards, we stopped for Chinese food takeout for Tony, and I got a Bionico (fresh fruit salad with crema) and Mango smoothie, and then went to check out a bike for Tony on Craigslist. We talked about maybe someday, somewhere down the line maybe getting some fish for Maiya. I regretted selling my fancy aquarium I sold years ago at a yard sale, but Tony mentioned he had a fish bowl somewhere in our disaster of a garage.

Later, we went with Uncle Bill to the West LA Buddhist Temple Obon Carnival. While we were waiting for Tony to park the car, Maiya and I played the Fish Toss. She was throwing the ping pong balls everywhere but on the board, hitting a little boy in the back of the head, and tossing one behind her, and they kept giving her back the balls. So I took one and guess what? I got it in! I couldn't believe it. Maiya threw a few more, and I tossed another one in... freaky luck, I got another one in. I never won anything before at a carnival, especially never a goldfish, and certainly not 2 of them!

Afterwards, Tony was scolding me about carnival etiquette, that you are supposed to play the games after you eat, saying it was his "burden" to carry the fish until we left. Ha ha. Anyways, here is Maiya chowing down on chili rice, udon and sushi rice, right before playing Triple Threat with Tony and winning a big pink plastic ball and scoring a balloon from a nice Nisei lady. It was so nice to see so many friends at the Obon.

Well, that's the weekend. If you've read this far, let us know if you have any name suggestions for our little fishies. Tony's suggestion is "Sashi" and "Mimi" so that when you call them, it sounds like "Sashimi." I'm thinking "Rainbow" for the white/sparkly one and "Koi" for the orange one with black speckles. Or maybe we should call them "Peace" and "Justice."

No comments: