Monday, August 02, 2010

Nat'l Breastfeeding Week


As a lactivist, I proudly nursed Maiya for 3 years and 3 months.  It was not easy at the beginning.  It took us about 5 months to get her latched on properly, but I was determined not to give up because I knew how breastmilk was building her immunity for a lifetime.  I was visiting a lactation consultant for months and relied on blogger mama friends for advice on natural parenting for years. I breastfed exclusively for 6 months and for the first year or more, I was nursing about every 2 hours, nights included (benefits of cosleeping by design).  It was worth all of the effort because it is the best gift I could have given her.  This photo was taken by Parmley Photography in 2005 when Maiya was a newborn for a calendar of mamas nursing in public spaces.  The photo was taken at the Farmer's Market on Fairfax.

No comments: