Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dancing at WLA Obon (#20)

I was thinking that the West LA Obon is becoming one of my favorite obons.  I thought it was about the food, but really I think it's about the sense of community. I ran into my friend Stacy who lives in the neighborhood, who I worked with in college. It's walking distance from Uncle Bill's house and it's in the neighborhood where Tony grew up.  This year, it was all about the dancing.

 Arriving at the WLA Obon.  Maiya was looking for the games.
 I was looking for some corn (photo credit:  Maiya)
 WLA Taiko, my favorite multi-generational taiko group
Shooting hoops at the YMCA game booth
 Getting dressed by the pros...
 ...who scolded me for not ironing her yukata 
which was rolled up and stuffed in my purse. 
They put cardboard in her obi to make it stiff.
One of Grandpa Larry's Mochizuki cousins
 
Dancers from up above
Where's Waldo?  I mean Maiya & Tony.
NaBloPoMo#20

No comments: