Saturday, July 23, 2005

Tick Tock

I had noticed (maybe yesterday) what looked like a scab in Maiya's ear, inside, near the top of her earlobe. She had scratched her ear before, and I had seen a scab a few months ago, so I didn't worry about it too much. Today, I noticed something similar again at Skyler Mariko's 1st birthday party. I asked my mom to look at it, it kind of looked like a scab but was bluish and looked like a seed, or a scab that might be filled with blood. We didn't know if we should wipe it off with a Q-tip because we didn't know if it would bleed. My friend Mary was walking by and also looked at it.

Later as we were leaving, Mary asked her husband Doug to take a look at it. He said, "Oh, that's a tick." Oh. My. Gosh. We talked about what to do about it. All of a sudden I was feeling a little freaked out. Calm, but freaked as we discussed what to do. Mary wondered if we should take her to the doctor. Someone asked the host if she had a tweezer. I'd heard of ticks on dogs, but never seen one before, and never on. my. child.

Anyways, Dr. Doug to the rescue, along with medical consultants Drs. Mary, Darin and Saori. Doug, being from New Hampshire, knew exactly what to do and how to do it. He took it out with tweezers, and me and Mary cleaned it out with water and wiped it down.

I got home and immediately searched online. Here's the info for what to do about ticks for babies 0-12 months.

She must have gotten it at the lake in the woods that we went to earlier this week. I can't believe that she's had it for maybe 2-4 days. Glad that I asked the right people about it. Glad we noticed it sooner than later. Whew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. scary!